Monday, April 27, 2009

Urbandale City Manager Position

By now, many or all of you have read about my being a candidate for Urbandale's (vacant) city manager position. It is therefore important to me to let you all know that I am in no way dissatisfied with my position here. I truly enjoy Indianola and my job.

However, and unfortunately, in the city management profession for one to move up, one must move out. There are no alternatives.

About two months ago, I received several calls from the hiring consultant doing the work for Urbandale. They asked me to consider applying and felt I would be a very good match for Urbandale's qualifications.

After much thought and many discussions with my wife, I decided to apply. The interviews are on Monday, May 4 and there are 4 other very qualified candidates from across the country. I actually feel fortunate to have made the list of 5 from a field of 65 applicants.

My goal at this point is to do well in the interview and see what happens. It will be a learning experience for Urbandale officials as well as myself.

Thanks for taking the time to read this blog now and in the past and I promise to keep you informed as to any decisions.